11: Jump and the Net Will Appear (with Sara Gilbert)
Sara Gilbert had it all, the dream marriage, the beautiful house, the aspiring career, but then everything came tumbling down when she learned her husband had a secret gambling problem, hadn't been going to work, and had gambled their family into massive debt.
After struggling to save her marriage, Sara eventually realized the gambling problem wasn't going away and she chose to leave her husband, sell her house, and eventually she even left her job and started a new career.
Sara is a strong, courageous woman and shares many nuggets of wisdom that will leave you feeling motivated to take a “jump” in your own life.
Nuggets of Wisdom from Sara:
- “All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.” ~Walt Disney
- “Courage is surpassing your fears. It's accepting you are afraid of something and moving on because the dream of doing it is actually higher and more important than the fear that's behind it.”
- “Fear is a sign that you're actually moving in the right direction. We only need to take one step.”
- “So I ended up in my early thirties with 2 children, a huge mortgage that included a gambling debt.
- “I had to go that far down to be able to say, ‘This is it.' I was completely destroyed as a person. People didn't even recognize who I was. My self-confidence was gone.”
- “Trust the intuition. Selling the house, kicking the husband out, and leaving the job were just things my body was telling me, ‘You have to do this.' When you listen to the intuition only great things happen.”
- “Jump and the net will appear.”
- “I sat down and created my eulogy and asked, ‘What do I want to be remembered for?' That was a life-changing exercise because I did not want to be known as somebody who just lived by what you're ‘supposed' to do in life.”
- “I find the difference between someone who has mediocre success and someone who has great success is how fast they get up once they fall down.”
- “Taking care of my body is really, really important. All my clients know that if you're looking for me on a Wednesday afternoon I'm hanging on a rock climbing wall. I make sure that I reserve time for myself.”
- “It's hard when you think it's going to be hard. It's simple when you think it's going to be simple.”
- “I make sure that every day I do something that makes me happy. And sometimes it can just be having a cup of tea. But every day do one little thing for me that I love. And we often forget to take care of ourselves, especially as women. We'll take care of everyone else, then we go last. If you take care of yourself, then you're in a better position to take care of other people.”
- “Changing your language will change your belief, which will change your mindset, which will change your behavior.”
- “Tell me no? Watch me go!”
Some of Sara's Favorite Things:
- Personal habit: Making lists and prioritizing those lists into three categories: must do, should do, and a wish list.
- Easy meal: Green juice and quinoa for breakfast. Sara's favorite juice combination: kale, apple, mango and coconut oil. “There's coconut oil in every single smoothie that I do.”
- Book: Jumpstart Your Thinking by John Maxwell. It's a 90-day plan with a daily challenge question. “I carry that book all the time.”
- Bucket list item: Volunteering in Ethiopia with her children.
- Best advice received: Sara once said, “The sky's the limit.” And her mentor replied, “Why would you even put the sky as a limit?”
- Happiest memory: The birth of her children first, then jumping in and starting her own business. “Jump and the net will appear.”
Sara's Happiness Formula & Challenge:
“Have passion, take action, magic happens.”
- Join Jen's email list to get free meditations, printables, and more.
- Strategist Business Development (Sara's business)
- Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP)
- NLP for Dummies
Enjoy the Show?
- Don't miss an episode! Follow the podcast on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or Amazon Music
- Leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts or Amazon Music.
- Ask Jen a question or leave a comment at firstname.lastname@example.org!
OTHER WAYS TO ENJOY THIS EPISODE:
Jen Riday is a mom of 6 and life coach who loves to help women experience massive happiness as they let go of stress, sadness or other chronic emotions of negativity.
Lost track of what makes you happy? This free video training will teach you how to implement the boundaries you need so you can feel happier.
Lost track of what makes you happy?
Learn how to implement the boundaries you need so you can feel happier.