6: Taking the Hard Road (with Laura Ball)
Laura Ball shares her story of losing both of her parents by the time she was 18, then making the choice to take the hard road and leave college and go home to raise her 13-year-old sister. This is a touching story of courage and taking the hard road when you know it's the right road.
Nuggets of Wisdom in this Episode:
- “One should not take the easy road, but rather the right road, no matter how long you travel.”
- “I couldn’t bear to be apart from my sister at that time. She was so young, and we needed each other.”
- “Essentially I did everything you would do as a mother. I went to parent-teacher conferences, I took her to dentist appointments, I taught her how to drive, everything, at age 18.”
- “I was proud to be her legal guardian. I didn’t feel resentful. I was proud.”
- “I knew God would give me the strength to go through it.”
- “So my life was put on hold for a little bit, but it was for the right reason. It was the right thing to do.”
- Low point: “I don’t have a mother. I don’t have a father. They don’t have grandparents. It’s heartbreaking.”
- “It’s OK to be vulnerable. It’s OK to be not perfect.”
- “You have to be vulnerable. It helps you to be real and authentic and down to earth. I don’t want to pretend I’m somebody I’m not. I make mistakes.”
- “Step out of your comfort zone and do something that scares you.”
Some of Laura's Favorite Things:
- Personal habit: Her strong work ethic. “I love to work.”
- Easy meal: English muffin with avocado. Mmmm!
- Possession: Laptop (Laura runs a marketing and social media business helping small business owners with social media, email marketing and event planning).
- Book: The Power of Vulnerability Brené Brown and The Gifts of Imperfection Brené Brown.
- Bucket List Item: Traveling; writing a book about her story of losing her parents and raising her sister.
- Happiest Moment: Meeting her husband and knowing he was the one for her.
Laura's Happiness Formula:
Learning + Working/Helping Others + Giving Back to the Community
A Challenge from Laura:
Step out of your comfort zone and do something that scares you.
- Get Social Marketing Solutions
- The Power of Vulnerability Brené Brown
- The Gifts of Imperfection Brené Brown
- Free Meditation Guide from Jen
Enjoy the Show?
- Don't miss an episode! Follow the podcast on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or Amazon Music
- Leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts or Amazon Music.
- Ask Jen a question or leave a comment at email@example.com!
OTHER WAYS TO ENJOY THIS EPISODE:
Jen Riday is a mom of 6 and life coach who loves to help women experience massive happiness as they let go of stress, sadness or other chronic emotions of negativity.
Lost track of what makes you happy? This free video training will teach you how to implement the boundaries you need so you can feel happier.
Lost track of what makes you happy?
Learn how to implement the boundaries you need so you can feel happier.