129: How to Help a Troubled Teen (with Claire Michalak and Elizabeth Wangler)
Raising teens can be hard as they navigate school, peers and emotions. But what happens when you have a teen who isn’t making the choices you’d like them to make or who is struggling with teen depression and trying to cope through drugs or other risky behaviors? In this episode you’ll learn how to help a troubled teen and to heal the parent-teen relationship in the process.
What You'll Learn in this Episode:
- How to stop trying to fix your teen (and what to do instead).
- The secret weapon you can use when you wake up to keep negative thoughts in check.
- 3 mindset shifts that can help a teen take charge of their emotions and happiness.
- How to use the “Pause, Notice, Choose” method to heal your relationships and improve decision-making.
- And much more!
Nuggets of Wisdom from Claire and Elizabeth:
“Live the life that you love and love the life that you live. When you are living the life that you love, it’s just doing the things you enjoy, being around people that make you happy, working at a place that you truly love, being healthy and happy and spending time with good people.”
“I don’t feel depressed anymore, ever. It’s literally night and day. I’ve realized that it’s your outlook on life and you have control over how people make you feel.” – Claire
“You’re never done growing and there’s always more work to do. Every single day, you need to make a conscious effort. You’re not going to be perfect and you still have things to work through. Even if you mess up, that’s ok, there’s always more work to do. I am constantly being conscious of who I surround myself with.” – Claire
What does it mean to be a Vibrant Happy Woman?
“Live the life you love.” – Claire
“Pause, notice, choose. Be very present in the moment. Ask yourself, ‘What do I feel in my body when I feel like going this direction or that direction?'” – Elizabeth
A Challenge from Claire and Elizabeth:
“Pause, notice, choose.”
“Exercise gratitude when you wake up.”
Get $25 off your first month’s Diapers & Wipes shipment from the Honest Company by going to www.honest.com/HAPPY
and insert code HONEST at checkout.
Get 25% off your first order from Thrive Market + Free 30 day trial by going to www.thrivemarket.com/happywomen
Links From This Episode:
- Vibrant Happy Women Retreat
- The Hoffman Institute Foundation: The Hoffman Process
- Copper Canyon Academy Boarding School
- Where Will You Be in Five Years
- Oneness by Rasha
- Follow Claire on Facebook
- Follow Elizabeth on Facebook
- Follow Claire on Instagram
- Follow Elizabeth on Twitter
- Email Elizabeth
- Follow Jen Riday on Instagram
- Jen on Facebook
- Get 25% off your first order from Thrive Market + Free 30 day trial by going to www.thrivemarket.com/happywomen
- Get $25 off your first month’s Diapers & Wipes shipment from the Honest Company by going to www.honest.com/HAPPY
and insert code HONEST at checkout.
How to Help a Troubled Teen – Related Episodes:
- Happy Bit: Two Unruly Teens: An Update
- When Parenting Your Teen Becomes Traumatizing
- Happy Bit: Our Experience with the Anasazi Wilderness Therapy Program
How to Join the Vibrant Happy Women Retreat:
Subscribe to the Vibrant Happy Women Podcast:
How to Leave a Review:
Ask Jen a Question:
Have a comment or question for me? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I'd love to hear from you!
OTHER WAYS TO ENJOY THIS POST:
Jen Riday is a mom of 6 and life coach who loves to help women experience massive happiness as they let go of stress, sadness or other chronic emotions of negativity.
Lost track of what makes you happy? This free video training will teach you how to implement the boundaries you need so you can feel happier.
Lost track of what makes you happy?
Learn how to implement the boundaries you need so you can feel happier.