346: Somatic Practices for Regulating Your Nervous System (with Nicole Smith Levay)
For decades mental health and child development experts have taught us to focus on thoughts and behaviors in order to be happier and more successful. Unfortunately, this approach wasn't fully effective for many people because it didn't address energy and nervous system regulation.
Join me and my guest Nicole Smith Levay as we talk about somatic practices that help us to more fully inhabit our bodies so we can experience more peace and calm.
What You’ll Learn:
- Why it's essential for parents to address a child's nervous system regulation before trying to address a child's behavior.
- The reason breathing doesn't always regulate the nervous system and what to do instead.
- The gifts that can come to us when we “show up messy”
- Nicole's strategy for calming herself before performing or public speaking.
- Jen's experience of “recreating the womb” and enjoying being rocked by a circle of women.
- How autistic people can teach the rest of us so much about nervous system regulation.
- And much more!
Want to expand your soul's capacity for joy and create heart-centered friendships? Join Vibrant Soul today.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Song about intergenerational trauma: “Experience” by Ludovico Einaudi
- Nicole's Instagram | Facebook | Website
- Calm Heart Meditation
1. Come to your favorite seated position, with your spine straight. If you are in a
chair, bring both feet flat on the floor.
2. Press your palms and fingers together at your heart center. Thumbs are touching
the sternum, eyes are closed.
3. Inhale through your nose in four equal parts until your lungs feel full.
4. Exhale through your nose in four equal parts until your lungs feel empty.
5. Continue for up to three minutes.
6. To end, inhale and hold your breath while squeezing and tightening every muscle
of your body.
7. Exhale, relax, and enjoy the effects!
Enjoy the Show?
- Don't miss an episode! Follow the podcast on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or Amazon Music
- Leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts or Amazon Music.
- Ask Jen a question or leave a comment at email@example.com!
Other Ways to Enjoy This Episode:
Jen Riday is a mom of 6 and life coach who loves to help women experience massive happiness as they let go of stress, sadness or other chronic emotions of negativity.
Lost track of what makes you happy? This free video training will teach you how to implement the boundaries you need so you can feel happier.
Lost track of what makes you happy?
Learn how to implement the boundaries you need so you can feel happier.