4: How to Take Time for Yourself — and Not Feel Guilty (with Stephanie Rogers)
In this episode you'll learn how to take time for yourself and balance the need for personal fulfillment as a woman, all while being mom, too.
Stephanie Rogers, a self-described “Southern Gal,” was born and raised in Charleston, South Carolina. She and her husband Ben live in Madison, Wisconsin where Stephanie is a proud stay-at-home mom for their 5 children ages 2-9. In 2015 Stephanie was named as the Wisconsin Young Mother of the Year. When she isn’t busy with her family or her Mother of the Year responsibilities, Stephanie enjoys gardening, serving in her church, and volunteering at a local halfway house.
Nuggets of Wisdom in this episode:
- “Put your own oxygen mask on first.”
- “I wake up at 6 a.m. to have guilt free ‘me time.' No chores allowed. Just exercise, meditation, scripture, a healthy shake, and so on. If the kids wake up early, I say, ‘It's not 7 yet. You need to leave mommy alone until then.' Once it's 7, I'm so happy to help them after recharging that battery.”
- “Take time to get out of the trees so you can see the forest.”
- “I learned I can still be a good mom and do other things besides what's inside my 4 walls. I can be Mom AND Stephanie and find fulfillment.”
Some of Stephanie's Faves:
- Personal habit: Getting up EARLY for ME TIME! (no guilt!)
- Easy meal: Spinach Black Bean Lasagna from Southern Living
- Possession: an 83″ antique chalk-painted bench (see right)
- Book: The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd
- Bucket list item: Visiting the Anne of Green Gables site on Prince Edward Island.
- Best Advice received: “When you get married, don't do anything you don't want to do for the rest of your life!” ~Stephanie's mom
- Happiest memory: Stephanie shares a touching story of being with her grandpa before he died.
Stephanie's Happiness Formula:
- Recharge your battery.
- Serve others.
- Have faith in God.
Hear how Stephanie applies this formula in her life; you'll be especially impressed with how Steph volunteers at a local halfway house with her children. (AND, Steph says this one thing makes doing the dishes so much easier! BONUS!)
Challenge from Stephanie:
“Take time for yourself and don't feel guilty about it. It will make you a better mom, sister and friend.”
- Join Jen's email list to get free meditations, printables, and more.
- American Mothers, Inc.
- The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd
- Spinach Black Bean Lasagna from Southern Living
Enjoy the Show?
- Don't miss an episode! Follow the podcast on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or Amazon Music
- Leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts or Amazon Music.
- Ask Jen a question or leave a comment at firstname.lastname@example.org!
OTHER WAYS TO ENJOY THIS EPISODE:
Jen Riday is a mom of 6 and life coach who loves to help women experience massive happiness as they let go of stress, sadness or other chronic emotions of negativity.
Lost track of what makes you happy? This free video training will teach you how to implement the boundaries you need so you can feel happier.
Lost track of what makes you happy?
Learn how to implement the boundaries you need so you can feel happier.