5: The Art of Self Love and Authenticity (with Carrie Hensley)
Do you ever catch yourself in a pattern of self-criticism, self-neglect, or even self-loathing? In this episode, you'll learn how self-love and self-connection are the foundation for living a grounded, authentic life. Carrie Hensley gives us a treasure trove of information about self-love and authenticity.
Carrie Hensley describes herself as a survivor. She has stayed sober for 22 years by building a strong foundation of self-love and authenticity through yoga and meditation. She is the founder of a thriving online community where she teaches women how to dig deep, sift through the layers of doubt, fear, judgment, and shame, and to use powerful tools, such as yoga, to connect to their inner guru, reclaim their intrinsic worth and live life on their terms.
Nuggets of Wisdom in this Episode:
- “Self-love is one of the most critical pieces of being human because with self-love comes self-forgiveness and self-acceptance and it’s only when we can give those gifts to ourselves that we can extend that same kindness to others. If I’m judging myself, I’m going to judge others. If I can’t forgive myself, I can’t forgive others.”
- “Not everyone is worthy of your story or of holding your space.” ~Brené Brown
- “Oftentimes we give our power to someone who isn’t capable of that support and it ends up being more toxic.”
- “It can be the most amazing life that you never even dreamed possible.”
- “We’re so much more alike than we are different.”
- “We’re spiritual beings having human experiences, not human beings having spiritual experiences.”
- “Meditation helps us to uncover where, why and how we react and get hooked and triggered into old patterns of reactivity. And through meditation, we become much more calm and nonreactive and become more co-creators of our world.”
- “Co-creating is just remembering that I’m not in the driver’s seat. And that doesn’t mean that I slip into the victim role, either, and say ‘I couldn’t do anything. This is God’s will.’ It means I take these inspired action steps on a daily basis but surrender the fruits of the action. I’m going to give it my best, then however it unfolds, it unfolds.”
- “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” ~Joseph Campbell
Some of Carrie's Favorite Things:
- Personal Habit: yoga + meditation
- Easy Meal: Dr. Oz’s Green Drink:
2 medium apples
3 stalks celery
1 inch ginger root
1 bunch parsley
2 cups spinachRun through juicer and enjoy!
- Possession: Her alter, which holds trinkets that are important to her, including a salt lamp, a citrine stone, a Ganesha statue (Ganesha is the remover of obstacles in yoga philosophy), and various nature items. Carrie loves her alter because each item is a reminder that everything around her is sacred.
- Book: Radical Acceptance by Tara Brach. This book talks about the “Sacred Pause” a 30-second technique where we can change the neuropatterning in our brains so that we are less reactive and more mindful and in-the-moment.
- Bucket List Item: Taking a motorcycle trip in Europe, perhaps along the Mediterranean Sea.
- Advice: “How would you change what you are doing or saying if you were the very best in the world at what you did?” ~Marie Forleo
Carrie's Happiness Formula:
- Remember that we're spiritual being having a human experience and not human beings having a spiritual experience.
- Seek the answers within because we know more than we think we do.
- Take some sort of inspired action every single day.
3 Challenges from Carrie:
- Begin that self love relationship and choose ONE action that you translate as self love.
- Remember: “We don’t need to hustle for our worthiness.” ~Brené Brown
- Finish each day with 3 gratitudes.
- Join Jen's email list to get free meditations, printables, and more.
- Dr. Oz’s Green Drink
- Radical Acceptance by Tara Brach
- Tara Brach Podcast/Audio
- Jen's free Meditation E-book: “The 1 Thing That Will Make Your Life More Vibrant & Happy”
Enjoy the Show?
- Don't miss an episode! Follow the podcast on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or Amazon Music
- Leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts or Amazon Music.
- Ask Jen a question or leave a comment at firstname.lastname@example.org!
OTHER WAYS TO ENJOY THIS EPISODE:
Jen Riday is a mom of 6 and life coach who loves to help women experience massive happiness as they let go of stress, sadness or other chronic emotions of negativity.
Lost track of what makes you happy? This free video training will teach you how to implement the boundaries you need so you can feel happier.
Lost track of what makes you happy?
Learn how to implement the boundaries you need so you can feel happier.