We have such an amazing episode for you today – there is seriously so much amazing stuff to dig into here, especially for parents.
Parenting is one of the most stretching, challenging, incredible things that many of us do. But when you have children, nobody gives you a handbook for raising them. We have to figure out how to connect with them, nurture them, and get them to do (at least some of) the things we want them to do. We are so lucky to have an amazing guest to help us with this today!
Laura Froyen helps individuals, partners, and co-parents become the parents they are longing to be. She helps them reconnect with themselves, each other, and their children through a unique approach to parenting that is grounded in research and driven by the overarching goal of restoring balance to families. She received her PhD in Human Development and Family Studies (HDFS) with an emphasis in Couple and Family Therapy from Michigan State University in 2014.
Laura and I talk about so much in this episode, including the behavioral model of parenting that many of us grew up with vs. the compassion model that is becoming more popular. We chat about how our brain finds evidence for whatever we're already thinking, how to dig out negative thought patterns, and why we can't force our loved ones to change. We also dig into some of the fascinating new research that supports a parenting approach that makes our relationship with our child the most important part of our parenting.
Show yourself some extra love – sign up for the Vibrant Happy Women Retreat! Spend 5 days with amazing women like you, letting go of stress and finding greater energy, clarity, and vision for your life. Join us!
What You’ll Learn:
- The differences between the behavioral model of parenting and the compassion & relationship model.
- How our loved ones can tell when we resent our obligations toward them.
- Why our brains love to find evidence for whatever we're already focusing on – regardless of whether it's positive or negative.
- Steps you can take to dig yourself out of a negative thought pattern about a partner or child.
- What the compassion and relationship model of parenting looks and sounds like in practice.
- How we are all wired for connection and how we can focus on that wiring in our relationships with our children.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Join us in the Vibrant Happy Women Club!
- Laura Froyen | Respectful Parenting 101 | Lunch Break with Laura | Facebook |
- 93: Creating Healthy Boundaries and Happy Relationship (with Laura Froyen)
- The Conscious Parent – Dr. Shefali
- Authentic Parenting Podcast
- Byron Katie
- Dr. Ross Greene
- Lost at School: Why Our Kids with Behavioral Challenges are Falling Through the Cracks and How We Can Help Them by Dr. Ross Greene
- The Explosive Child: A New Approach For Understanding And Parenting Easily Frustrated, Chronically Inflexible Children by Dr. Ross Greene
- Raising Human Beings: Creating a Collaborative Partnership with Your Child by Dr. Ross Greene
- How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish
- Beyond Behaviors: Using Brain Science and Compassion to Understand and Solve Children's Behavioral Challenges by Mona Delahooke
- Reserve your spot in the 2021 Vibrant Happy Women Retreat – we would love to have you there!
- Follow Jen on Instagram
- Follow Jen on Facebook
Full Episode Transcript:
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow the podcast on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave me a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!