What is your calling? Is there something you wake up in the morning and can’t wait to do? We all have special talents and skills that can make a difference in the world and in the lives of other women. My guest today found hers in gardening.
Urban communities all across the United States are in a state of food apartheid. Not a food desert, as you may be thinking. But in a state of apartheid where healthy, nourishing foods aren’t being provided to these communities. However, through the work of one organization, more women are learning how to grow their own food from their backyards and porches.
In today’s episode, I’m chatting with a special soul, a women whose energy is palpable through her Instagram pictures where I first learned about her. Leah Lee-Burnett is the founder of Growing Food Growing People, an organization that teaches women in an urban St. Louis community how to grow their own food and find healing in the soil. We’re talking about Leah’s experience of racism, why a food “desert” isn’t the right term, and how women’s lives are changing in her own backyard, literally. If you’re ready to discover your calling, let this episode be your inspiration.
If you want to take your thought work skills all the way to the mastery level, the Vibrant Happy Women Coach Certification’s fall session begins on September 14th. We are accepting 20 new coach enrollees. You’ll learn how to hold space, the Feel it to Heal it Method, how to lead your children to emotional resiliency, and so much more. I can’t wait to see you there!
What You’ll Learn:
- Why and how Leah founded Growing Food Growing People.
- Leah’s thoughts on the term “food desert” and why it’s actually an apartheid.
- Why urban communities often have inadequate access to healthy food.
- Why Leah is unapologetic about her stance on the BLM movement.
- What women can expect when they visit her garden.
- How gardening can help women heal from centuries of abuse.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Leah Lee-Burnett Website | Instagram | Facebook
- Check out my 4-part video series on holding space and more over at jenriday.com/coaching!
- Join us in the Vibrant Happy Women Club!
- Reserve your spot in the 2021 Vibrant Happy Women Retreat – we would love to have you there!
- Follow Jen on Instagram
- Follow Jen on Facebook
Full Episode Transcript:
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow the podcast on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave me a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!