Today, I want to talk about a skill that will really shift your life. I'm talking about it in the context of having children in this episode, but you can apply this to a difficult job, a grouchy spouse, annoying in-laws – just about anything you might be struggling with.
I'm talking about learning to allow – and let go of – feelings of discomfort.
There was a time when I thought that my kids caused me a lot of pain. I don't want to discount what I and my family went through, but I know now that I was looking at everything through a lens that made me suffer more than I needed to. Now I know that my thoughts were causing me to suffer – not the facts of the situation.
In this episode, I'm talking about why feelings of discomfort have so much to teach us. I'll share a bit about my experiences with uncomfortable feelings and painful life events, how I realized that my thoughts were making my suffering worse, and how I learned to choose thoughts that made me feel better and helped me through these times. We'll also chat about dropping the “shoulds” and expectations in our lives and taking responsibility for our thoughts and feelings. And I'll give you some tips for feeling your feelings and allowing them to pass through you as peacefully as possible.
I promised you that if we get to 1,000 reviews in Apple Podcasts, the show will be ad-free. Let's make it happen – head over to jenriday.com/itunes to leave a review and help us get to 1,000!
What You’ll Learn:
- How we make our suffering worse with our thoughts and feelings.
- Why we have to let go of thoughts that cause pain and suffering.
- How to choose thoughts about a situation that can make it easier to bear.
- Why you should examine what meaning you're attaching to uncomfortable situations in your own life.
- What we can learn and experience when we stop worrying about how things “should” be.
- Why we need to stop numbing ourselves and learn to really feel our feelings.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Join us in the Vibrant Happy Women Club!
- Byron Katie
- Loving What Is by Byron Katie
- HAPPY BIT: WHEN PARENTING YOUR TEEN BECOMES TRAUMATIZING
- HAPPY BIT: TWO UNRULY TEENS: AN UPDATE
- Follow Jen on Instagram
- Follow Jen on Facebook
Full Episode Transcript:
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow the podcast on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave me a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!